Every Year as per the Hindu Calendar, the Pratipada of Shukla Paksha of Karthik month is celebrated as Govardhan Puja or Annakut Puja. A day before Govardhan Puja, the biggest festival of Hinduism, Diwali is also celebrated. This Year (2021) the holy festival of Govardhan Puja will be celebrated on 05 November, this year.
The holy day of Govardhan Puja marks the victory of Lord Krishna over Lord Indra.
Let us tell you more briefly about the Story and Significance of Govardhan Puja as well as we will also tell you Puja Muhurat, Timing, Puja Vidhi, and Samagri will require of puja.
Govardhan Puja 2021 Date, and Timing (Shubh Muhurat)
The Pratipada tithi will start from 02:44 AM, 5 November 2021 and will end at 11:14 PM, 5 November 2021.
- Govardhan Puja Morning Muhurat – 06:36 AM to 08:47 AM, 05 November 2021.
- Govardhan Puja Evening Muhurat – 03:22 PM to 05:33 PM, 05 November 2021.
- It is believed that on this day one should take bath only after massaging the oil on the body in the morning.
- After this, make a symbolic Govardhan mountain with cow dung at the main door of the house.
- And place the idol of Lord Krishna in the middle of the mountain or near it.
- Offer different types of dishes and sweets to Govardhan mountain and Lord Krishna made from cow dung.
- Devraj Indra, Varun, Agni and King Bali should also be worshiped on this day.
- After this listen to the story of Govardhan Puja and narrate it to the people around.
- Distribute curd-sugar mixture among the people in the form of prasad.
- After worship and enjoyment, please a Brahmin by offering him food and giving him charity and dakshina.
Govardhan Puja Samagri
Once seeing the villagers worshipping the deity Indra, Lord Shri Krishna asked Mother Yasoda the reason for this. Then Mother Yashoda told that they make rain, from which food is produced and from that, we are fed.
Seeing the villagers doing this, Shri Krishna said that our Govardhan mountain is more powerful than Indra Dev. Due to which it rains. And we should worship Govardhan Mountain. Hearing this from Shri Krishna, people started worshipping Govardhan Mountain.
Seeing the villagers worshipping the mountain, Indra Dev became angry. And the torrential rain started. Fearing the wrath of Indra Dev, everyone went to the shelter of Shri Krishna. At that time, Shri Krishna lifted Govardhan on his finger and stretched it like an umbrella and saved the Gokul residents by staying in his shadow.
Seeing this miracle of Shri Krishna, Indradev was also amazed. After this Indra came and apologized to Shri Krishna. Since that time this festival is celebrated every year on the next day of Diwali.